Tuesday, March 27, 2012

3/27/2012: 10:15 AM

It was quite a fight to get Davis to go to baseball try-outs. He decided he wasn't going to try-out after all because he was too sick and too weak, and kids would make fun of him for being so bad at baseball. I used my mom powers to discern that it wasn't really the sickness or weakness holding him back, it was the fear of being judged by his peers. That lesson right there is the hardest to teach; and I am constantly trying to instill the concept of "whose opinions matter and whose opinions don't" in my children, but it is quite a challenge. So I fudged the truth and told him that if he didn't try out like every other boy, he wouldn't be on a team. I explained to him that if he did not have the want and respect to try out, he didn't deserve to be on a team. Needless to say, he was ten minutes late to try-outs.


He did great. True, he was very weak and very slow, and I think it bothered him quite a bit. I
know that he is frustrated that his best is sub par to what it was a year ago. I can't even imagine how difficult it would be to struggle at something that you knew you could do a year ago. I reassured him that as his muscle and strength comes back, his endurance will improve, and over time, he will adjust to the feel of his chest guard, and his confidence will be restored. I hope he believes me.

Davis was feeling quite lethargic over the weekend. He told me he had been having some headaches and dizziness.  This could be caused by three obvious issues. He could have a virus. I believe that this is unlikely because Davis has had no fever or any other symptoms. He believes he could have low hemoglobin. I doubt this because his counts are supposed to be stabilizing, and his last CBC nearly two weeks ago revealed that his hemoglobin was over 10, which is good for Davis and his type of cancer. I believe that it is his Hypoglycemia, which is caused by his chemotherapy. Davis doesn't particularly enjoy sugary goodies. He doesn't eat candy or chew gum. He is sick of juice boxes and has to be forced to eat fruit. My guess is that his blood sugar is low. We went to Sarah Bush yesterday to get some blood work done to get an idea of what is going on. We haven't heard from the clinic yet today, but I will keep you posted.

Davis visited the ER to see two of his favorite people.
Ok'ed by the doctor, Davis has decided to start getting peripheral
sticks for his counts. It saves a ton of time.
We had some company last night. Donna Tammen, my grandmother's best friend, brought Davis a care package from her son, Brad, and his team, the Nashville Sounds. There were baseball goodies galore!  Davis and Annakate loved the gifts. Thanks to Donna, a cancer survivor, Brad, and the Nashville Sounds for the baseball care package!


We are still adjusting to the new routine of fewer visits to St. Louis. We are grateful for the support and encouragement we continue to receive eight months into this journey.

PS. The nurse from clinic called. Davis was right; I was wrong. Davis' hemoglobin is very low, and we will be traveling to St. Louis tomorrow for a blood transfusion. (Now I kinda feel horrible for pushing him at try-outs on Saturday.) Hopefully, the lethargy, headaches, and dizziness will cease. Please pray for a safe trip.

We will keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment