Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Loving that Life Keeps Happening

5/2/2012: 11:13 PM

We had a very pleasant weekend full of family activities. We quasi-camped on Friday night. Basically, we watched a movie and slept in the camper at the farm. The kids still thought it was fun.

Davis in his bunk

Annakate in her bunk
Saturday was a much anticipated day. Annakate competed in her first taekwondo competition. I did my best to disguise the fact that I was a nervous wreck for her sake, but I am pretty transparent. No fear though, she did an amazing job. She took second in her one steps (Yeah, I am not really sure what those are. In my non-taekwondo mind, I equate them to a very abbreviated dance routine.) and claimed first in her form (This is a more lengthy routine.). We couldn't be more proud of her. She really enjoys taekwondo, and I am glad to see her excel in it.

Annakate performing her form for the judges.

There was a tie, so there was a tie breaker re-do. Here the judges are
voting for the first place title. Yay Annakate!
Annakate, her trophies, and her instructor Mr. Snyder
Davis has been attending school on a regular basis, and we have noticed that he has been taking his medication quickly and without complaint for the last couple of weeks. He seems so absorbed in his fifth grade world. He is excited about his upcoming band concert and has hummed every single song to me as a preview of the real thing. He is participating in Miss. Goodchild's (his reading and English teacher) book club, and often we have to force him to shut off the book light and go to bed, because he can't seem to put his book down.

I love that life keeps happening. At times, life feels more like the "old normal" than the "new normal". I couldn't even imagine this two or three months ago. I was updating the calendar this morning and it hit me. I was planning - planning days, weeks, months ahead of time. I can't really explain it, but when Davis was diagnosed, the calendar was wiped clean. And for the seven months that followed diagnosis, the only permanent plans that were made were doctors' appointments and transfusions and spinal taps and blood draws. Cancer dictated everything in our lives. And although we knew we were working towards an end goal and many assured us things would get better, the idea was too abstract. All of our energy was devoted to living in the now and to facing the immediate. So to see the calendar covered in ball games and orthodontist appointments and vacations was beautiful to me.

We thought our kitty, Jerry, had broken his leg. He was limping pretty
badly on Tuesday. A trip to the vet revealed some major tenderness in his elbow
and an abscess in his forearm. Thank goodness, nothing major for this old barn cat.
Annakate and Davis take turns giving him his antiobiotics and pain medication.
Davis seems to be working on his behavior. We have noticed fewer disagreements at home. Kyle and I have made a big effort to make sure that Davis gets a consistent amount of sleep. We think that his lack of sleep as the week wears on has a considerable impact on his behavior and emotions. Kyle has also started prepping Davis as to the behavior we expect before Davis has a chance to be difficult. For example, Davis didn't feel well this afternoon. He had a baseball game early evening and then we had church. Despite leaving a little early from church, Davis didn't make it to bed (shower, reading, supper, etc) until nearly 9:30 PM. Kyle reminded Davis several times throughout the evening that he is expected to get up in a pleasant mood and eat a good breakfast in the morning. Hopefully, by placing the expectations out there and giving Davis time to adjust and accept them, we will thwart any misbehavior. I know that it seems elementary and unnecessary at best for most ten-year-olds, but Davis isn't most ten-year-olds. We have to re-program him for living a life where cancer and its side effects aren't center stage any more.

Holding at second base.
I know I convey it all of the time, but we are truly thankful for your prayers and support. You have been so faithful in standing by our sides. We ask that you still continue to lift up positive thoughts and prayers on Davis' behalf. I don't want to develop a false sense of security just because Davis is looking better and feeling better. There are still the risks for relapse, port infections, and serious illness (such as pneumonia).  We still pray against the short term (hypoglycemia, mouth sores, nerve pain) and long term (secondary cancers, organ damage) side effects. I refuse to let fear rule me, but I would be lying if I didn't admit that I carry a much larger load of fear and worry than I ever have in my life, and I think I always will.

An update on Cory. Thanks to all who have been thinking and praying for Davis' friend. I am so moved to hear how many of you have taken on praying for Cory like you have been praying for Davis. It worked. Cory, who was so homesick, was able to go home with an ANC of 0 (not something very common on the west wing of the 9th floor at Children's). He has a series of tests on Friday. I am sure that the family would love, love, love prayers and positive thoughts going out on that day.

We will keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment