Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Too Busy to Let Something Like Cancer Slow Us Down

12/13/2011: 2:15 PM

It feels like I haven't blogged in forever.  That's a good thing.

Best of Buds
Davis is doing so well.  We are soaking up every minute of the good days we have been having lately.  Davis has been able to attend school every day since his chemo treatment last Tuesday, and life has felt pretty normal.

Davis had his buddies over Friday night. We haven't been able to have a real get-together at our house with the boys since June, so it was a long time in the making, and it was well worth the wait. Davis had a blast. Besides the Nerf gun war, they kept it pretty low key. Movies and Wii games. Although they don't get the opportunity to play and hang out with each other as they did when they were in elementary school, they just pick up where they left off. They don't skip a beat. Having the get-together was definitely medicine for the heart and soul.
 
Annakate has been struggling with a little something for a few days now. I took her to the doctor on Thursday. A strep test was done, but it came back negative. By Saturday, Annakate had a low-grade fever. We started some antibiotics, and this past Tuesday, Kyle took her back to the doctor. Not sure exactly what it is, possibly viral, but we are doing our best to keep her away from Davis just in case. We have made her wear a mask, and we have them use different rooms when possible. She is on the mend now I find it odd that when Annakate is sick, I spend a great deal of time worrying about both of my children in a way I have never done before.

On Saturday evening, we attended our church's dinner theater. Good food, amazing entertainment. Sunday gave way to Kyle's uncle Randy's retirement lunch. He recently retired from working for the State Treasurer's Office. We are happy to have him closer to home. On Monday evening, we sorted the orange t-shirts. My sister-in-law, Tami Ogden, recruited quite a crew, and we had the shirts sorted in no time. The shirts look awesome - bright orange.

The rest of this week is devoted to staying healthy. I have noticed sickness starting to creep around the schools, and the large fluctuation in temperatures doesn't help. I am so very nervous with the holidays around the corner . . . you know, the gobs of loved ones in an enclosed space. And it seems that when Davis is around families and in homes he has been accustomed to going to (Grandmas and Aunts, etc), he lets his guard down. I will catch him eating olives with his fingers and doing other things of the sort. Most people don't think twice about doing those sorts of things, and most people shouldn't have to worry. Sadly, most of the germs that one picks up are obtained through the nose and mouth, and hands are crawling with germs. People put themselves at risk for infection every time they put their fingers in or near their eyes, nose, or mouth. The doctors have told us time and time again, that Davis poses more of a threat to himself than others pose to him.

Thanks to this crew, t-shirt sorting was only a couple
of hours!
Annakate has her Christmas program this evening, and Davis has his first band concert tomorrow. He is pretty excited. Last night, he was practicing his little snare part and asked me to do the base drum part. The funny thing is that we don't have a base drum, so I had to improvise with my voice, making a sound comparable to a base drum.  It was comical. On Sunday, the kids have their church Christmas program. It is quite a bit to-do as far as kids' Christmas programs go, and my kids love being involved.

I have recovered fully from the wreck. Thanks to all of you who offered up concern. I cautiously drove on the interstate for the first time yesterday and hated every minute of it. Of course, my first time back on the interstate was at night in the fog and drizzly rain. Yep, talk about easing into it. I think the only conditions that could have trumped that would be ice or a blizzard. I couldn't help to find some amusement in that fact that I have already received a bill from the state of Illinois for repairs needed to the guardrail I hit. Luckily, the concrete bridge that destroyed the right side of my car wasn't harmed. I am - was - completely oblivious to wrecks and repairs, because I seriously thought that my tax dollars repaired things like that.  Nope. Learn something new every day.

Davis has been eating so well lately. He reminds me so much of a pregnant woman with some of his cravings and adverse reactions. He eats Arby's curly fries nearly every day. He also is newly addicted to Cheez-its and Eggo waffles. He still won't touch anything cold and creamy (ice cream, yogurt, milk shakes, etc), but he could seriously drink a bottle of ketchup if I let him. Today at lunch, after he downed his second curly fries of the day, I gave him the healthy choices and heart disease talk. It is important that he doesn't develop poor eating habits that will become problematic in the long run. I am excited to see how much weight he has gained the next time we head to clinic. I know if I were to eat what he has been eating, I would be at least 15 pounds heavier. Too bad his metabolism isn't slower and mine isn't faster.



I think we have done a great job of developing coping mechanisms. Obviously, we believe a good sense of humor and prayer helps in situations like these. I am not sure what Kyle does to re-focus himself in the hard times, but I readjust my outlook and attitude by thinking upon the things to come - the things I want to come. Sometimes I try to picture my grandbabies. I imagine a few toddlers bundled up in snowsuits bouncing in. Sometimes I picture what Davis might look like as a teenager or with braces on his teeth. Sometimes I wonder if he will have a favorite deodorant, or I wonder who his first crush will be. I try to picture him playing the piano or drum set at church, changing tempo or taking orders from Sis. Marlo or  Bro. Casey. By thinking on the things to come, it makes now seem like a series of stepping stones - a bridge to the future of better times and more memories.

Davis will head back to Children's on the 23rd. He will start his newest road map, Delayed Intensification. He will be on eight different chemotherapy medications in this three-month round. Four of the meds are new or have only been received once or twice over treatment thus far. We are already praying against side effects as we do not know what to expect from the new medications. Hopefully, Davis will sail through the next three months and coast right into Maintenance Therapy.

We continue to be so thankful for the love and support you have shown our family, especially our son. We continue to ask for your thoughts and prayers for complete healing, no relapses, no long term or short term side effects, and good health for Davis.

May God bless you all.

We will keep you posted.

1 comment:

  1. So I figured out how to get the commenting to work all the time.. You need Mozilla firefox..

    I love reading your blog entries, it feels like I am getting the chance to talk to you even though we are not distance close. I cant believe the last time I saw you guys was in the parking lot of Wal-mart in August before we left. So many moons ago..

    I keep praying and thinking of all of you often. Henry wears his shirt like crazy and the other day he was wearing it and his cape and it just made me smile.. Unfortunately the camera is without batteries..

    ReplyDelete