Thursday, September 29, 2011

Doesn't Get Better Than This . . . Relatively Speaking

9/29/2011: 9: 52 AM


some parents can't keep their kids
in shoes; I struggle to keep mine
in clothes altogether

This has been a perfect week.  Davis has done a pretty good job taking his medications without too much of a fight.  I give him a B+ for medicine taking.  His negative attitude has improved so much.  I give him an A-. 

Davis has made it to school on time nearly every day this week. In addition to improvements in taking medicine, refraining from negative talk, and making it to school on time, he continues to have a better appetite. Yep. Perfect week. Life seemed almost normal this week.
finishing touches
Davis spent a good majority of his weeknights working on a science project that was due. It turned out pretty nice. Annakate helped him paint some, and I helped by cutting Styrofoam. 

Yesterday was very long and busy. After school, we grabbed a snack and hustled over to Sarah Bush for blood work. We headed back to Charleston for Davis's painting class. Then to Pagliai's for supper and over to Mattoon to church.  Finally, home for meds and night routine. Davis didn't get in bed until 10 PM - 2 hours after his normal bed time. It was worth the running though. Davis loved every bit of Wednesday.

works in progress
Davis attended his first painting class at Tarble Art Center. He LOVED it. The instructor taught the small class about Monet, and then they used watercolors to create their own scenes. Davis went on and on about how much he enjoyed the class and he told us (Annakate and I) everything he learned about Monet.  While Davis is at class, Annakate and I have the opportunity for some one-on-one.  I guess it is a win-win. Davis gets to do something he enjoys, and Annakate and I get some girl time.

Despite the spurts of rain, Kyle has been keeping pretty busy in the fields.  If he is rained out, he has an opportunity to do other necessary tasks: dry corn, fix machinery, etc. There are very few times ever that there is simply nothing to do on a farm. We both have been running some pretty long days, and you would think that the kids being born into this lifestyle would be used to the stretches when they don't spend time with their dad, but they aren't.

Davis and Annakate continue to amuse me. Annakate says some wacky things. Yesterday, as she was telling me some dramatic story, she popped in a little slang and finished her story with, " . . . . and it was off the hook!"  After I asked her to repeat herself and had my giggle, the English teacher took over and I corrected her for her use of nonsensical slang, but it was cute.  Her hobo fear has blurred into reality.  As we were pulling into the hospital parking lot yesterday, Annakate caught a glimpse of a female walker in the distance.  She blurted out, "Hey Mom, who is that hobo?" (Why she thinks I have exhaustive knowledge about hobos beats me.) I told her that not every person who walks on the side of a road is a hobo. 

Davis has turned to writing cheesy songs.  In the same car ride, he informed Annakate and I that he wrote a bridge to his latest song, "We Can Do It Together: Great Ideas". He sang us the song - a very long song - and he even threw in some choreographed jazz hands and other arm motions. In case you haven't noticed, Davis is very geeky.  And yes, he writes lyrics and composes music for fun. Needless to say, the song was very entertaining. And the interactions like these and my children's sheer goofiness is what makes my life the best . . . perfect.  

Davis has quite a surprise on Tuesday.  Two, actually. First, he saw his former principal, Mr. Diss.  I don't know how he did it, but Mr. Diss got Davis into a Cubs hat for a picture.  My guess is that it was the first and last. The second surprise? A young lady in Davis's class wrote to the Indianapolis Colts explaining Davis's situation. They sent her a letter and a care package for Davis. She presented it to him in front of the whole class. This little girl, as all the children in his class, has such a big heart and tender spirit.  The kids in his class are amazing. It is like Davis has 24 siblings looking out for him all of the time.  They have welcomed him and his unique situation with open arms.  I am so grateful that he has such a dependable support system among his peers. 






Davis asked me last night if he was getting the PEG shots. I told him that he was.  His plan (He always has a plan.) is to convince the doctor to knock him out (sedate him). The doctor's plan is for us to give him a powerful anti-anxiety medication one hour before we arrive.  I think the doctor has the upper hand on this one. Tomorrow, Davis will meet with his Children's therapist one more time (transferring to one closer to home) and then get his chemo.  If all goes well, we should be home late afternoon.  I have faith that all will go well.

We ask that you continue to pray with us that Davis has peace about the medication and procedures, no long term or short term side effects, and a continued appetite.  Most importantly, we need your help praying for forever remission and CURE.  We are always grateful for your continued support, thoughts, and prayers as they are, with God's help, what fuel our strength to keep going.

We will keep you posted.

2 comments:

  1. It is so wonderful to hear Davis is feeling better, God is good! We will continue to pray. Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My name is Sarah Franklin. I was Davis and Anna Kate's P.E. Teacher at Ashmore in 2010. I stay in touch with Karen Turnbow and she had informed me of Davis's health condition at the end of the summer. I am needing your address in hopes to send Davis a few things to maybe brighten up at least one day, but hopefully more. Also, please My name is Sarah Franklin. I was Davis and Anna Kate's P.E. Teacher at Ashmore in 2010. I stay in touch with Karen Turnbow and she had informed me of Davis's health condition at the end of the summer. I am needing your address in hopes to send Davis a few things to maybe brighten up at least one day, but hopefully more. Also, please pass along a hello to Anna Kate! My family and I have been and will continue to pray for your family's strength, heeling, and to help you have opened minds for whatever might be next. Thank you offering these blogs for people far away to keep up with Davis's condition and also for those who might be going through the same things you are right now.
    My name is Sarah Franklin. I was Davis and Anna Kate's P.E. Teacher at Ashmore in 2010. I stay in touch with Karen Turnbow and she had informed me of Davis's health condition at the end of the summer. I am needing your address in hopes to send Davis a few things to maybe brighten up at least one day, but hopefully more. Also, please pass along a hello to Anna Kate! My family and I have been and will continue to pray for your family's strength, heeling, and to help you have opened minds for whatever might be next. Thank you offering these blogs for people far away to keep up with Davis's condition and also for those who might be going through the same things you are right now.
    along a hello to Anna Kate! My family and I have been and will continue to pray for your family's strength, heeling, and to help you have opened minds for whatever might be next. Thank you offering these blogs for people far away to keep up with Davis's condition and also for those who might be going through the same things you are right now.

    ReplyDelete