Saturday, August 9, 2014

The Dawning of Another School Year

8.9.2014: 12:20 PM

Has it really been six months since I last blogged?  Boy, have we been busy with life.  This feeling - the business of routine and involvement - is the feeling I longed for when Davis was in the midst of some of his worst treatment. I was quite the skeptic when the doctors would tell me that life would eventually feel "normal" again; and now, we are here.

I can not fairly recap the last six months, but I will do my best. 

Davis finished 7th grade and Annakate finished 4th grade. She is apprehensive to leave Ashmore School and afraid and nervous to join the couple hundred other kids at Jefferson School. Notably understandable. Davis is one year away from high school. I am struggling to wrap my mind around that one. When he was five months old, I remember rocking him to sleep in this green glider Kyle's sister had given us. There was enough light from the night light to cascade on the side of his face that wasn't rolled into my arm. I remember studying everything about him. Willing my mind to remember how his lips puckered out when he slept, the length of his lashes, the folds on his neck, the feel of his young skin. I prayed over my son as I willed the memory to be permanent.  I remember asking God to see us through the stages of time, and I smiled when I mentioned protection in high school. I was amused because here I was holding my five month old, praying for something that seemed so ridiculously far away. Time is far more sweet than bitter, but I would be lying if I didn't wish from time to time that I could go back to that night in the green glider and memorize him all over again.

Totally sidetracked. Where were we? 

Summer.

Summer and good health afforded us the time travel a bit and do some things we love.

 
This is the newest addition to our family. It was the 4th grade class pet, and Annakate fell in love with him. His name is Truman. He really is making a  great pet. Annakate is still smitten with him. He is pretty patient with her. 

 
After school finished, I headed down to Florida. My dear friend married on the beach. Kyle met me down there, and we were able to spend some time with friends. I loved every minute of it.


 
We were able to spend a bit of time (not much) on the lake. Next summer will be even better. Davis still can't get in the water because of his port. There is too much risk for infection. Next summer, he won't have a port. Yay!
 

 
 
Davis went on his first choir tour. The youth in the church traveled to Texas this year to sing and witness. Davis was gone for ten days touring Texas. I was able to fly down for a few days to celebrate his birthday with him. It was an amazing experience for him. The youth in our church operate like a family; they look out for one another. The older ones shepherd the younger ones. 

Orpheum Children's Science Museum
The Pottery Place

 
We spent a few days camping in Tennessee near Lake Kentucky. It was a great deal of outdoors. We spent time fishing and riding bikes. We also toured the Civil War fort, Fort Donleson, and were engulfed in the history and the breathtaking views.
 
 
 
Kyle has decided he needed a kayak. He doesn't strike me as an avid kayaker, but who knows? He is always full of surprises.
 

 

We put up quite a bit of sweet corn already. This was a great year for gardening, and Kyle has managed to stay on top of our gardens this year. (Sadly, gardening has never been a joy of mine.) Above, the kids are raiding my mother-in-law's garden.

 
 
Our only medical setback this summer has manifested on Davis's skin. He has been fighting ingrown toenails all summer. The oncologist tried some antibiotics to fight back the infection, but they didn't work. The next step would be surgery; however, the doctor doesn't want Davis having any procedures done until after he is done with chemo and his port is removed, because the risk for infection is too high.
 
In July, Davis developed a large blister on his bottom lip (looks like a giant canker sore) and sores on the bends and folds of his fingers. Our pediatrician was at a loss, so we headed back to St. Louis. Davis's doctor (one of them) was equally perplexed. She did a viral and bacterial swab check and a CBC and CMP. Her thoughts were that the blisters were related to an infection or his chemo. She was going to monitor Davis's liver enzymes, and if they trended upwards, then the blisters would be related to his chemo.
 
The viral and bacterial check came back negative. Not an infection. The CMP was normal for a kid on chemo. The plan was to wait two weeks and go from there.  On August 1st, we headed back down for a scheduled chemo visit. Davis met with a dermatologist who confirmed what the oncologist suspected, chemo toxicity. Unfortunately, there is little to be done. The blistering is a rare side effect of one of his chemotherapies, Methotrexate. And Dr. Huang, Davis's oncologist, is a firm believer at not stopping chemo unless it's life threatening, so Davis will endure the blisters for a few more months. He was given an antidote to the Methotrexate. Hopefully, it will help; however, it hasn't been super effective in the few others who have experienced this. The blisters, although annoying, a tad painful, and a risk for infection, are nothing in comparison to what the side effects could be. Still blessed beyond measure.
 
As you may already know, Davis will have his last round of chemo some time in October. Three years and three months of chemo almost finished. Quite a journey, and it's not over yet, nor will it be over in October, but life is easier and we have grown in spite of cancer.


I ask you once more to keep praying for Davis. There are still risks and concerns after chemo ends. He is facing risk of infection every day the blisters don't heal. But I know between intercessory prayer and God's goodness and mercy, Davis will be and is healed. So thank you in advance.

We'll keep you posted.



No comments:

Post a Comment