Wednesday, February 5, 2014

The Odds Were Against Us. . . But We Perservered

 
2.5.2014:  11:54 PM
 
Kyle and I typically take the kids on a little trip for their Christmas present from us. It's a tradition we started when they were babies, and we love doing it. This year - against my wishes for a warm beach - we decided to take the kids skiing.  Kyle had never been, and it had been well over twenty years since the last time I hit the slopes. We found a last minute deal to an amazing resort in Wisconsin Dells and booked it.
 
In retrospect, a series of events attempted to ruin our trip.  However, we rose to the occasion and conquered. The first being that the night before we left for our little vacation, our basement flooded.  I'm not sure exactly what happened but something went awry with the water softener and there was water everywhere! We were shopvac-ing water inches deep.  I had every towel that we owned blanketing the carpet.  I even summoned the kids out of bed to walk on the towels to sop the water out of the carpet. It was a mess. 
 
We left on schedule and made it to Wisconsin.  The activities were endless.  There was an arcade, an inside carnival, and an amazing water park. The activities definitely kept the kids busy.

 
 

The kids had a great time trying their little hands at repelling.  It was a lot harder than it looked.

Kyle's going to kill me.  We were on the Ferris wheel, and he was goofing off.  I love this picture.
Saturday, January 4th, we headed for the slopes.  Annakate was really apprehensive about skiing. She was content with tube sledding all day, but we wouldn't have it. We insisted that she try it.  It took us all nearly half of the morning to get geared up - literally. By the time we had all of our gear strapped on, I was already exhausted.  Nevertheless, we headed out and up the bunny slope. 
 
The kids were naturals.  Well, let me take that back. Davis was a natural. It took Annakate awhile to figure out how to get off the lift and remain upright.  Before you know it, they were both zipping down the slopes and weaving in and out of the people standing around. I was impressed. We eventually graduated off of the bunny slope to a bigger slope. It was by no means a pro slope or anything, but it was longer, higher, and less crowded than the bunny slope.  Again, the kids took it with ease.  I think the kids fell more just standing around than they did actually skiing. 



 And then Davis dodged a near collision. Someone crossed his path, and in an effort to avoid a collision, Davis literally sacrificed his body and threw himself down into a tumble.  I was a couple hundred feet behind him and saw him actually roll with his skis on. Apparently, we hadn't mastered abrupt landings because that definitely wasn't the way to do it.  He laid on the ground as I passed him up. I tried stopping but couldn't slow fast enough. Eventually, I just threw myself to the ground too.  Kyle and Annakate were in the lift watching me, but hadn't seen Davis fall up the hill to by back.  I could hear them heckling me and motioned them to Davis.

By the time I removed my skis and trudged up the hill to where he was, another gentleman with some medical experience was seeing to him.  Davis was complaining that his arm hurt and he couldn't move. Great. I was able to get his skis off and we began the very long and awkward - awkward because ski boots are tough to walk in and I was carrying two sets of skis and my poles down a mountain - walk down the mountain.  By the time we were at the bottom, Davis was in near tears over his arm. Kyle asked him, "How bad is it? Do you think you need to go to the hospital?" And Davis said, "Yeah." Ski trip was over.

We took off our gear, which was much easier than putting it all on and headed over to the first aid station. We thought we would get their opinion before we headed to a hospital.  A couple of nurses checked him out. The one closest to me told Davis, "Honey, it's looks like it could be a little sprain." And then she leaned over to me and whispered, "Mom, it's looks like it's broken."

We headed to the hospital.  We took a long cut to a clinic that didn't recognize our insurance. A few hours and x-rays later, it was confirmed that Davis had broken his wrist. It was an impact fracture from trying to catch himself when he fell.  He was placed in a splint until we could get home and meet with an orthopedic doctor. 

At the first aid station at ski resort.
 

Hospital waiting room.  He's still smiling.
Home didn't quite happen. The next day, Illinois was hit with a huge snow storm. And while Wisconsin didn't have any measurable snow, the temperatures were worse than frigid.  Since we couldn't safely travel home, we drove over to Kyle's brother's house a few hours away. Talk about making lemonade out of lemons. We spent the next couple of days being snowed in with our family. We watched movies, played games, ate pizza.  The kids loved spending time with their cousins, and we enjoyed the impromptu add-on vacation.
 
A couple of days later, we finally made it home.  A couple of days after that, Davis finally made it in to see the orthopedic doctor. Davis was in a full arm cast for a couple of weeks.  He then was in a short cast, which allowed for him to bend his elbow. On Monday, he received a splint cast that he can remove to shower and sleep.  He will have to wear that for the next month.  The doctor said that he is healing well.
 
As disappointing as a broken wrist is, we weren't really bothered by it. To me, that is a normal injury. It was kind of nice going to an ER for a reason other than cancer-related reasons.  Normal kid, normal kid injuries.
 
Davis just keeps on keeping on. We have nine months of chemo left. Nine months! I can't believe we are in single digits. I would be lying if I said that the thought of chemo ending doesn't terrify me. Being on chemo has its own set of worries. Being off chemo brings an entirely set of new worries to the game.  My biggest fears, of course, are relapse and long term effects brought on by the chemo he has taken for so long.  I meet my fears with prayer, because, frankly, I feel a little bit helpless. Just as I relied on my faith after diagnosis, I will do the same in October when Davis downs the last chemo pill.
 
I'm not sure who follows this blog anymore, but if you read this, I ask that you still pray for Davis. This road has been long, and it will be years before we can consider him medically cured (Oncologists never use that word. However, we serve a mighty, healing God who does more than medicine ever can.). And please pray for me.  I am really struggling with my fears of what may come after chemo. It seems this nearing time of celebration is anything but, and it shouldn't be that way.
 
We love and appreciate your support.  Every kind word spoken, every inquiry, every uttered prayer is cherished.
 
We will keep you posted.

2 comments:

  1. Always praying! Claiming complete healing in Jesus name!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Still praying for you all. Extras for you right now, Amanda. :)

    ReplyDelete