Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Snowman For a Day

 3/26/2013:  11:00 PM

Let me catch up.

Well, at the beginning of the month, I had the opportunity to do a polar plunge with some of my students.  The outside temperature was 27 degrees and the water was 41 degrees.  Super cold! But it was for a wonderful cause, the Special Olympics of Illinois, and I enjoyed the new experience.  It's is all part of my new motto to be a human do-er instead of a human being.

 
 
Annakate has been doing quite well in Taekwondo.  She has finally earned her blue belt.  She has just a few more belts to go before she is a black belt.  We are very proud of her. 
 
 
 
Typically, she would be in her uniform for the belt ceremony, but we had to miss the belt ceremony for a church revival.  I think she looks adorable in her dress clothes and belt.
 
Our church Easter drama has consumed most of Kyle's and the kids' time as of late.  After many long nights of practice, the performances came and went. It was amazing. My kids loved every minute of it. Davis had the opportunity to be the 12-year-old Jesus in the temple, an honor that made him very proud.  Seeing my children use their acting skills and work together with their church family for the blessings of others brought tears to my eyes.  


With the long nights of Easter drama catching up to us on Sunday, it was such a gift to be snowed in on Monday. The kids slept in and played at their grandma's (I guess we weren't snowed in for too long.). Davis even built a snowman. The snow was perfect for it.

 
Since cold weather is my nemesis, I watched through the window.  I couldn't help but giggle every now and again at the sight.  When Davis was patting and shaping one side of the snowman, the dogs would be eating big chunks of snow from the other side. I noticed later that one of the dogs had marked the snowman as his territory.  

 
I am glad the fun was in the making, because there isn't much to show of that lopsided and stained snowman today. 
 
Davis has had his chemo held for the last two weeks.  Two weeks ago, a blood test revealed low platelets.  They weren't super low (under 10) but they weren't over the safety net of 50 to continue oral chemo, so it was postponed.  I know many people have asked why he isn't transfused when he is low so he can continue with his chemo. Well, it would make sense to do that, but the doctors want his bone marrow to do the work on its own as much as it can. The transfusions are there as a safety net, but anytime Davis can make good blood cells on his own, he needs to. So two weeks and no chemo.  He will have another blood test on Thursday to determine if we can resume with the chemo.  Hopefully, we can.  The little breaks from chemo sure are nice every once in awhile. 
 
I don't know if I mentioned it in the last post, but Kyle asked when Davis is scheduled to be done with the maintenance phase (done with daily chemo). We have a tentative date:  April 2015.  April 2015!  Wow. That seems like forever away. I am not complaining. Chemo doesn't affect our lives the way it used to, and I know that there are other children out there who have to take medications/treatments for the rest of their lives. It just seems like a long time; that's all. But perseverance is the name of the game, and we've got this.  
 
Thank you for your continued support. I love how so many people are truly interested in the well-being of Davis and ask about him often. I am so touched when I learn of those who still call out his name in prayer.  I thank you a thousand times over for it. 
 
We will keep you posted. 





No comments:

Post a Comment