Wednesday, January 30, 2013

One Rough Week for One Little Girl

1/30/13: 11:00 PM

Poor Annakate. She can't seem to catch much of a break as of late. A couple of weekends ago, she started complaining about her ear. By Monday (Martin Luther King Jr Day), it had nearly swollen shut. A trip to the doctor concluded that she had a very nasty ear infection. So the antibiotics began. Probably not the way she wished to spend her day off from school.

Tuesday . . . still sick.

Wednesday . . . better. The antibiotics were starting to work, and she was feeling like her old self again.  She went to school. She had her teeth cleaned. She went to church. It was there while playing a game (actually racing to a seat) in class that she tripped over another child's foot and faceplanted into a wooden arm rest on a couch. Off to the ER we went.

 
My poor little thing bit through her lip and lacerated the inside of her right cheek. Dr. Stout was kind enough to stitch her up and send her home with a pretty numb lip. I'm not going to lie, it was sort of nice to be in the ER for the things that you are supposed to be in the ER for. It was the type of trip I had always imagined parents everywhere making.  One of those trips due to the accidents of childhood. Don't get me wrong, I don't want my children to have to make ER visits, but if they do, I want it to be for reasons like this not because of bacterial infections or blood infections often associated with cancer.


Thursday was rough.

 
Friday was rough. Finally, I took Annakate back to the doctor. We were due for a follow-up anyway. Annakate hadn't consumed any food or water (except for a couple of ounces) for a day and a half. She refused to take her antibiotic or Tylenol. She wouldn't drink through a straw because she wouldn't close her lips around it. She was super miserable. The nurse gave her a stern talk about the importance of drinking and the concerns of dehydration. The doctor put her on a different antibiotic that she only had to take once a day and for only a few days, and he also gave her some mouth-numbing mouth wash.

Saturday was rough.

Sunday was better. She woke up feeling pretty great. She managed to eat and eat and drink. She went to church. She was on the up and up.

Due to the severe storm and power outage in Ashmore, Annakate didn't have school today. Well, what would you know?  She woke up with a fever and a sore throat. I gave her a couple of Tylenol, and the fever did subside and she resumed normal activity, but my goodness . . . .Really? 

Just pray with us that she gets better and stays better. I am hoping that we can put the last couple of weeks behind us.

Davis has been doing great. He has been complaining a bit of leg pain, and I know that worries him. He has also been sweating a lot a night, and I think that worries him too.  I think he just uses way too many covers. He asked me tonight when I was tucking him in, "Mom, do you think I am relapsing?"  I reassured him that he isn't. I told him that we don't see enough of the signs. I told him he could talk to the doctor about it in a couple of weeks at his next appointment. She can check him out. I think that the fear of relapse will always weigh on his mind to some degree. He is a thinker and a worrier, and I think it is hard for him just to put his total trust in God. He's human, and he's eleven. And he has had to grow up and carry the burdens that most adults struggle to do gracefully. I can't even imagine the weight that all of this places on him. 

I am so thankful that God has had His hand on Davis. So far, he has managed to be fever-free for months now. With all of the sickness around and even in our own home at times, I am amazed that Davis remains so healthy. I don't doubt that it is a God thing.

Please pray for both my babies. Annakate for her health, and Davis for peace of mind. I know he is worried about relapse. I think he thinks that being this healthy for so long is too good to be true. It seems like he is holding his breath or waiting for the other shoe to drop or something. Davis has also been very grouchy and combative lately.  He hasn't been getting adequate sleep, which contributes to his bad attitude, but he's old enough to exert self-control. I definitely pray for an end to this sour attitude.

We hope this finds you and your family happy and healthy. May God richly bless you always.

We will keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment