Sunday, December 16, 2012

A Merry Christmas

12.16.12:  5:45 PM

It's has been so long since I last posted. 

We are pretty sure that Davis's counts have stabilized. His oncologist cut his daily chemo in half, and he some of his medications were changed. Chemo builds up in the system over time, and Davis's body may be too weak to sustain the dose he was given.  As his counts continue to build, they will increase the chemo.  The idea is to give him as much chemo as his body will tolerate. 

Life is blurring by. Davis and Annakate just completed another testing round in Taekwondo. Davis performed beautifully at his piano recital last weekend. Annakate did a wonderful job in her school Christmas program.  All of these were things that I missed because I was sick. 

A couple of weeks ago, I came down with bronchitis. The "poison ivy" soon followed. The doctor - not my normal physician - placed me on antibiotics and steroids. A follow up with my doctor revealed that it wasn't poison ivy, but shingles. Shingles can be deadly to Davis, and as you can imagine, I was beside myself. Thankfully, I hadn't been around Davis much because of the exposure to bronchitis. He was immediately put on an anti-viral as a preventative measure, and he moved in with my in-laws. I have been to the doctor three times now and am on a smorgasbord of medication, and it appears that I am on the road to recovery. I am healing very quickly. I know many suffer from shingles for great lengths of time. I am praying that it dries up quickly, as I do not have the time to be sick.  Besides, I miss my children so very badly. 

Today, I attended the Christmas musical at our church.  Davis was Gabriel and Annakate was a star. I think she was a star.  Anyway, it was wonderful. I find such joy in watching my children develop their talents, especially when it is for the Lord.

 
 
 
Davis didn't attend school on Thursday or Friday because sickness has hit his little school. We love that the teachers and nurse are so well attuned to Davis's risks. They are kind enough to advise us as to when school isn't "safe" for Davis to attend. Davis has been wearing a mask for the last couple of weeks to help protect him from all of the viruses flying around, but a mask only does so much. God has really had his hand on Davis.  With all of the sickness in abundance and my own sickness here at home, he has gone unscathed. It can't be luck or antibacterial hand soap; it has to be God. 

Davis has a band concert on Tuesday evening. He is super excited about it. He loves band. And on Friday, Davis has chemo in St. Louis. It should be an easy day of chemo. Just one five-minute port push.  Five hours in the car for five minutes in the clinic. We aren't complaining though. We love the easy chemo days.

Christmas around here is busy. We really partake in the hustle and bustle.  I think we will celebrate Christmas six different times over the week.  We love it that way. Nothing is better than celebrating and spending time with family.

As if Christmas isn't merry enough, we will finally be fulfilling Davis's Make-A-Wish. We are so excited!  If you remember, we were supposed to leave for Hawaii back in February, but Davis became febrile and neutropenic and was hospitalized two days before we were set to leave. That led to a two week hospital stay.  The trip had to be cancelled. Well, here we are again. You know, I think it was kind of a blessing that Davis's original trip was postponed, because now his body is stronger and his immune system is stronger and he has more energy. He will be able to enjoy - really enjoy - Hawaii in ways that he wouldn't have had back in February. 

I can't help to think from time to time and be caught up in where we were a year ago. If you would have told me we would be here back then, I would have never believed you. When we were going through the worst of it, I couldn't think beyond the day. We lived from appointment to appointment. Our lives were masks, blood counts, Germ-X, thermometers, syringes, disinfectants, needles - tons of needles. Now, in many ways, that seemed like so long ago. But what seems like yesterday are the words of encouragement, the friends being friends, the school that embraced a sick child, the complete strangers sending cards and more. I will never forget the kindness and love shown to us. We weren't (and still aren't) anything special . .  an ordinary family fighting extraordinary odds. But so many loved us, lifted us up, and pulled us along. I am forever grateful and forever indebted. You have no idea have you have changed us for the better. I will never in all my days be able to properly pay it forward.

When I heard the song, "Bigger than the Odds", I completely identified with parts of it. I think anyone who has been so close to broken can identify with the song, so I thought I would share. Just click on the link.

"Bigger Than the Odds" by Matt Vollmer

I ask for prayer. I haven't been well and need to be for my family. Please pray that Davis stays healthy and strong. We have much to look forward to this month. Most importantly, pray for those precious little darlings who don't get to come home for Christmas - those who will spend their Christmases in hospital gowns. And pray for Cory's family and those families alike, who will celebrate Christmas without their babies for the first time, for their babies are now in heaven.

Love from our family to yours. Merry Christmas.



We will keep you posted.




1 comment:

  1. Merry Christmas and happy new year Coffey family!!! Continued prayers and positive thoughts!!

    ReplyDelete