Monday, September 3, 2012

Another week - Another Month Down

9/3/2012:  4:05 PM

Well, we have survived another week. We are as busy as ever - light worlds away from where we were one year ago.

On Wednesday evening, Davis went to get his CBC and CMP. All was well. He had an ANC (immune system count) of 1108, which is great. The doctors want to keep his ANC between 1000 and 1500. His platelet count was a little on the low side at 72. The doctors like to keep that above 75 for procedures but don't transfuse until 10 or so. Since Davis was only shy a couple of points, they decided to keep him on schedule for his spinal. The low platelet count sure explains all of the bruises that are popping up on his body (mostly his legs).

On Friday, Davis, my mom, and I left at 5:30 AM for St. Louis. We arrived at the 9th Floor Clinic right on time for our appointment. There were several nurses wearing their Team Davis t-shirts. I just love that. Fridays in the clinic are crazy, and because of that, Davis missed his APC (ambulatory procedure center) appointment for his spinal by ninety minutes. Luckily, the clinic and the APC communicate well.

 
The clinic nurse pretreated him with Kytrel, an antinausea medication, before his spinal. This helped him tolerate the anesthesia a bit better.


Davis didn't have to wait too long for his spinal.

 
 
Davis slept for an hour. He has to lie on his slide for an hour to help prevent spinal headaches that he has been prone to getting in the past. He woke up in a surprisingly good mood. That is a rarity. 

 
Once we returned to the clinic, Davis busied himself with the Xbox Connect. There is a lot of down time between the chemo (which takes all of five minutes to push in his port) and the breathing treatment (which is done done in a special room and lasts thirty minutes). The clinic was crowded, so we found ourselves hanging out in the little play area near the back of the lounge. I am glad that Davis found something to keep him occupied. 

 
 
 
Since Davis has to fast for his procedure, we let him pick where he wants to eat afterwards. This time, he chose the Waffle House in Collinsville. He ate quite a bit, but apparently, it wasn't enough. I had to stop and get him an Arby's value meal in Vandalia because he was "starving". It rained all of the way home, but we managed to stay in front of the stormy weather.
 
 
Davis will head back at the end of September for his monthly chemo treatment. He still continues to take oral chemo every day alongside other medications. I remember how this time last year it seemed that our lives revolved around medication dosages and schedules. Now, medication is merely an inconvenience. He takes his meds without complaint and quickly now. Last year, it would take a daily fight of a small army to get him ot take his meds. Now, I can put the meds on the counter, and he takes them. NEWS FLASH:  Davis swallowed three small pills tonight!  To many of you, it may not seem like a big deal, but this little step is earth shattering in our home. Davis has a major phobia about pill swallowing. Hopefully, we have reached a turning point. We will see. We sure were whooping and a hollering here tonight though.
 
 
Every visit to clinic leaves me feeling ever more thankful and blessed. We have a wonderful community of family and friends who support us unconditionally, and we have a son who defies cancer while maintaining a normal eleven-year-old life. We are so thankful -- and amazed -- that Davis never lowered his own expectations while in the toughest throws of cancer treatment. He still brought home straight As and participated in time-crunching activities, like Band and student council. We are proud of him for setting higher expections than we require. I think he is pretty amazing.
 
 
And although life is much easier than it has been in awhile, I still ask that you pray for Davis and our family. I have no doubt that God is going to heal Davis from cancer forever; however, I still pray against relapse and organ damage daily. I pray that God makes him healthy and strong.
 
 
I am never thankful for cancer and I truly do hate cancer, but I am thankful for the opportunities brought to me by cancer. I am so thankful for the opportunity to re-direct my time towards my home and my children and husband. I am thankful for the re-focus of my priorities. A stack of essays to grade and a clean house aren't near the top of the list anymore. I am so thankful for every day with my babies, because life is so short and the their childhoods are even shorter. I am so thankful for the acquaintences that we now consider our friends. Cancer brought us closer. I am so thankful for those cancer survivors and their families who have journeyed parallel roads, because we are forever bonded by the illness that we beat. I am especially thankful for the children (and their parents) with whom Davis attends school. The kids in his class and his school never shied away from him or his sickness. They embraced him - never treating him different. Having survived my own adolescence and being a teacher, I know that some kids can be cruel to kids who are different. This has never been Davis' experience. And I know that children would not be so kind and accepting if they did not have amazing parents teaching them. This is just the tip of a great many blessings for which I am grateful. It may seem at times that I dwell on the physical and mental -- often negative -- side effects of cancer. Well, I guess there are positive, life-changing side effects as well.
 
 
We will keep you posted. 

No comments:

Post a Comment