Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Remembering What the "Old Normal" Feels Like

4/4/2012: 10: 15 AM

We have had an amazing few days. Kyle is ever busy in the fields, and the kids have started their spring/summer sports. Annakate is doing a little soccer clinic in addition to her taekwondo, and Davis had his first baseball practice on Monday night. This is the kind of busy I love - that I dream of. We are nearly into a routine of school, free time and snack, sports, shower, homework (and meds for Davis), and bed. I'm just crossing my fingers and saying little prayers that the bottom doesn't fall out of this. I am very ready for no set-backs now that we have had a little taste of the good side of the maintenance phase.

Gardening.

Annakate attended a birthday party/pool party this weekend and ended up with a bad case of hives. Another trip to the doctor on Monday. I suspected that it was an allergic reaction to the pool/hot tub because the rash was worst where her swimsuit would have been and it is common for pools and hot tubs to not be balanced properly, leading to bacteria growth in which Annakate is allergic. I was right. While we were at the doctor's office, we also did a follow-up on her lymph nodes, which are still enlarged. It would be nice to assume that the enlarged lymph nodes in her neck were caused by sinus fluid in her head (She has been struggling with allergies and sinus issues as of late.), but since the nodes in her groin were also enlarged, we couldn't really blame it on sinus problems. We headed over to the lab for a CBC and CMP. A few hours later, I was told that her labs came back within normal limits. We aren't any closer to finding out why her lymph nodes have been enlarged for the last four months, and as long as her levels look good and she is asymptomatic, there is nothing to be done. I just pray that the inflammation goes away, so I can worry a little less. She feels great today. The rash is nearly gone and the sinus pressure is subsiding.

Totally showing her brother up. She smiled through the whole
blood draw and complained how much it hurt all the way
to the car.
Davis has been doing relatively well. He is still pretty tired when he comes home from school, and I am not sure when or if this part of it will go away. I encourage him to rest and sleep when he can because that is the best time and way for the body to repair itself, but he doesn't.  Lately, he has struggled a lot with sleeping. He just can't seem to shut his mind down at night. There have been so many little changes over the last week, and each one seems to chip away at this wall of cancer that stands in front of us. This week alone, we have some new firsts since diagnosis: baseball, dentist appointment, slumber party with friends. And today, I teared up after dropping Davis off at school. Davis had student council this morning. I pulled into the drop off lane, he jumped out, grabbed his lunch box, a couple of parting words were exchanged, and then he was gone. I realized that this is the very first day - all year - that I have not carried Davis' back pack and walked him into school.  I don't know how to explain it, but I compare it to the feeling you get when you witness your baby's first steps . . . that mix of both joy and sadness. One step closer to independence, I guess.

random photo. Cookie break at Grandma Hawkins.

random photo. On the way to school this morning.
Please pray for the little guy, Cory, I mentioned a couple of blog entries ago. He was in ICU for a bit because of fluid in his lungs but has since returned to the 9th floor (cancer and blood disease floor). He is struggling to breath comfortably, undergoing chemo and many transfusions, suffering from fever. He and his family will be spending Easter in the hospital, while most of us will be dressed in our finest for services and bellied up to tables full of homemade foods surrounded by our loved ones ready to fellowship. I can't help but feel horrible pangs of sadness or guilt  . . . or I don't know which it is . . . as I watch my son grow stronger and get healthier, as Cory faces one set-back after another. But I know God can touch Cory just as softly and quietly as He has touched Davis. And I think back to when we were walking through the darkest part of journey . . . the part past shock and fear . . . to the part of near desperation, and I remember how often I thought how thankful I was for the people who were constantly calling out Davis' name in prayer, and I remember personifying God and hoping He would be so annoyed of hearing Davis' name said by ten . . . hundreds . . . .a thousand people that He was would just hurry up and heal him to shut us all up. (Not that I believe that God really gets annoyed by our prayers.) I know Cory needs that now.

Thank you for everything. I hope by now you know what everything is. We can't thank you enough.

We will keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment