Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Learning the Lesson the Hard Way or Hard Lesson to Learn?

1/24/2012: 10:21 PM

Things have been going relatively well.  Every one is healthy.

Davis is notorious for negotiating when it comes to taking his medication. He is incredibly bright and understands which medicines have to be taken (chemo and steroids) and which medications are less important (side effects medications). And although we require him to take all of his medications, he will occasionally try to manipulate us or the system. He will often tell us that he can't take this one particular medicine, Neurontin. It is an anti-seizure medication used to treat the side effects of one of his chemotherapy drugs, Vincristine. He is required to take a few ml twice a day. Sometimes he is nauseous and won't take it, and other times he will take a portion of the required dose. He always reminds us, "I haven't had Vincristine in awhile; it won't be a problem" or "I haven't had side effects from Vincristine since July, I'll be fine."  Ok. Whatever. One would think that he would be accustomed to taking medication by now, but he is Davis, and he is stubborn. Very stubborn. (Sadly, I think this character trait is from me or so I have been told). There were a few missed or partial doses this week. And Sunday came. Davis was unable to move the muscles in his arms without excruciating pain. He couldn't pick up a fork to eat nor could he pick up his drumsticks or toothbrush. He was miserable. This was our "I told you so" moment, but it was squelched by his suffering. We had to call his doctor. The doctor raised his dose of Neurontin; he now takes it three times a day, and he was placed on Oxycodone for a few days until the Neurontin kicked in. I am sure that other parents would agree that it is frustrating to sit back and watch your child learn lessons the hard way. However, it appears sometimes (at least in our case) that may be the only way he learns.  Amazingly, he has discovered the pain goes away and stays away when he takes the medicine diligently at the proper dose.

We welcome the routine. I love noises of home life: the hum of the TV, the buzzer to the dryer, Davis playing the snare, Annakate listening to music. It is as it should be.

practice. practice. practice.
I was able to go to Oakland (to the school in which I work) and visit a bit today. It was so nice to see my work friends. I think I didn't really know how much of an impact my co-workers made on my life until I took the year off.  They make a great support system, and in many ways, it seems that teachers (at least in my district) are a family trying their best to see a bunch of kids (high school in my case) find their way to success out in the world. I know it may sound corny, but I think that the teachers I work with would agree that we rejoice in our students successes and feel defeated when they fail. We hurt when they are broken-hearted and are full of joy when they are happy and content.  Needless to say, I enjoyed my time, however brief, at Oakland today.

I thought that cleaning a fish tank was like riding a bike - something that comes back to you. Not the case, I found. In my defense, I haven't cleaned a fish tank in well over twenty years, and I don't really remember doing a whole lot of fish-tank cleaning when I was seven (what kid didn't have a fish tank in the 80s?), so I fumbled my way through some fish tank cleaning. It was gross and smelly, and I was drenched in water by the time I was finished, but I think the fish will thank me in their own little fish ways. Annakate's fish, Carmen, isn't looking too hot. His little belly is bloated, which is never a good sign. She has never been my sentimental softie, so I am not too worried about her struggling with her emotions in the event that Carmen heads to the Happy Hunting Grounds.  I, on the other hand, am a bit more attached to the fish. I told the kids that I have been and will continue to pray for Carmen. They laughed.

happy fish
Davis will have a CBC tomorrow afternoon, and we should have his counts result on Thursday. The results will confirm if Davis will need transfusions (platelets and/or red blood cells) and if his counts are high enough to receive chemo on Friday. We are hoping and praying that chemo won't be postponed since we are so close to being to the Maintenance phase. Davis looks great; I will be surprised if he needs red blood cells. You never can really tell though.

We still continue to pray against the short term and long term side effects that go along with this illness, and we fervently pray that Davis is healed from cancer forever. We are thankful and feel truly blessed that Davis has been so healthy (especially with no immune system) for so long. We also are truly grateful that Davis has been fortunate enough to attend school on a regular basis. He needs school. It is his escape from all things cancer.

Thank you for your positive thoughts and prayers. They are working.

Some days there won't be a song in your heart. Sing anyway. -Emory Austin

We will keep you posted.


I hope that Annakate doesn't adopt my OCD habit
of ironing everything. I caught her ironing washcloths for fun.
If you have ever spent much time with Kyle, you know how much fun he can be.
While I was cleaning fish tanks tonight, he entertained the children
with a little break dancing action. All dads do that, right? Well, our lives
will definitely be lengthened by all of the laughter Kyle provides.

2 comments:

  1. Mandy,

    I don't know if Davis reads these posts, but I will share this with you. I have taken Neurontin since about 1980. I have to take it three times a day and over the years I've had to have it increased. I was injured in an auto accident when I was 20 and scar tissue developed in my spine. After many procedures, including surgery, I still have a lot of pain and Neurontin was prescribed to help ease the pain. I was surprised when I learned that it was also used for seizures. It has not taken the pain away completely, but it has help a lot. My doctors have told me I'll have to take it for the rest of my life. Thankfully, I have never had side effects that I know of. I pray that Davis does not experience any and he is closer to feeling much better. Your faith and willingness to accept that God has a plan in all of this is such a great example for all who read your postings and witness how you lead your lives.

    Love to all.

    Ginny

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well... Part of me doesn't blame him for wanting to take psycotropic meds. They are hard to handle and I know this better than most. The side effects from the meds themselves can be worse than what they are supposed to be treating. So I understand where he is coming from. On the other hand, I can not even fathom where I would be without those medications. So it may be that Davis just needed to see where he would be without them to understand why he needs them. Sometimes Davis is just to smart for his own good so give him the benefit of the doubt here. I bet he learned the lesson that you didn't want him to learn the hard way. As you know Amanda, our family is notorious for having to learn things on their own. Maybe next time he will listen to you.

    Love and prayers,
    Amy

    ReplyDelete