Thursday, December 3, 2015

We're in a Good Place

3/3/2015:  11:48 AM

Well, we're in a good place.

Davis has been in remission for over four months now. Our monthly trips to Children's consist of little more than a blood test, a check-up with the oncologist, and a Pentamadine breathing treatment. In a couple of months, the breathing treatments will cease.  Davis will continue seeing the oncologist every month for the first year. After that, he will have appointments every three months for a year or so. Then, he will have semiannual appointments, and by year four or so, he will only need to come once a year. After his fifth year being cancer free, he will be transfered from Hemotology-Oncology to the Late Effects department, where he will be a patient for life. He will continue to go for yearly check-ups for the rest of his life. The Late Effects clinic will monitor his organs and side effects and provide long term treatment if needed.

I think a little catch up is in order.

******************************************************

12/03/2015

We are still in a good place.

Davis has been in remission for nearly 14 months. Our check-ups have been spaced out to every two months, and if all goes well over the next ten months (and it will), Davis will be released to the Late Effects team, and we will say goodbye to Dr. Huang and his oncology team.  The idea is a tad bittersweet because they have become part of our extended family - a constant in helping Davis survive, and I am forever grateful to 9th floor for all they have done for us.

Davis is flourishing. He loves high school, and I can't wait to see what the next five, ten, twenty, thirty or more years have in store for him.  He is my constant reminder of how fragile life is and how strong the human will can be.  He reminds me of all  that is good in the world and how circumstances can uproot one's world and leave him forever changed. And I think like most parents - or people rather - who have been in our situation, I hate cancer with every fiber of my being . . . I hate that it kills and degrades so many. . . I hate how it robbed my son of an important part of his childhood and the fear that it left in its wake will never really go away. I hate how it stole my daughter's sanctuary and left invisible scars that we still soothe today. But as time creates distance, I see the good that cancer brought about. I am sure that it taught different things to each member of my family, and I can't even begin to imagine what Davis will take from this experience in time, but I know what it taught me. It taught me the power of quiet strength. It taught me brokenness. It taught me that I am not invincible and that I need people, much to my pride's dismay, and I discovered a network of family, friends, and an entire community was there to hold me up. And most importantly, it brought me to my knees time and time again. . . . begging, pleading, bargaining, demanding, whispering prayers and answers to prayers over and over again, bringing me closer to God. Cancer humbled me.

This blog was started as a way to communicate Davis's cancer story - our family's journey.  And now thankfully, we have other roads to travel and other journeys to explore and other stories to write.  I have never been so excited to keep heading forward without ever looking back. 

And I hope that Davis's story is one remembered as a family's fight, a community's love, and the goodness of God.

May God richly bless you and may we all continue to fight against childhood cancer.

Signing off.



No comments:

Post a Comment